On May 16, 1985, Pastor Calhoun answered the call into the Gospel Ministry. After much contemplation and council from his pastor, the late Dr. W. L. Wilson, he preached his initial
sermon on July 30, 1985 at the Macedonia Baptist Church in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Upon being called to the Corinth Baptist Church in Union, South Carolina, as interim pastor, Rev. Calhoun was ordained by the Spartanburg County Baptist Association on January 27, 1986. He was installed as Pastor at Corinth on July 13, 1986.
As Pastor Calhoun was led by the Holy Spirit to Corinth, his pastorate has been built on that guiding principle and foundation with much success. Among his accomplishments:
- Corinth listed on National Register of Historic Places
- Complete renovation of the sanctuary
- Construction of a new educational wing, including classrooms and fellowship hall
- Establishment of a non-profit organization, Corinth Community Development Corporation 501(c)3
- Establishment and operation of a successful daycare center
- Founder of Still I Rise outreach youth ministry
- Partnerships with United Way of The Piedmont and The Department of Juvenile Justice
Pastor Calhoun is a member of the Pacolet River Baptist Association where he has served as Treasurer. Presently serving as President of the Pacolet River Baptist Congress of Christian Education. He is a Certified Dean and Certified Instructor through the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education. His ministerial training has led to a Doctor of Ministry Degree from Andersonville Theological Seminary.
Both he and his wife, Mrs. Rubye K. Calhoun are actively involved with the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. Mrs. Calhoun has served and continues to serve in many capacities at Corinth, including:
- Sunday School Teacher
- Still I Rise Associate
- Coordinator for the Annual Women's Day event
- Director of Christian Education at Corinth
- Instructor for the Pacolet River Congress of Christian Education
- Organized the first Young Women's Auxiliary at Corinth and the Pacolet River Baptist Association
- Re-organized the Deaconess Ministry at Corinth
Pastor Calhoun is a native of Troy, South Carolina (Greenwood County). He is married to the former Rubye H. Kendrick, Charlotte native. Pastor and Mrs. Calhoun are the proud parents of two extraordinary children, Dr. James Kevin Calhoun of Atlanta, Georgia and Mrs. Kimberly Calhoun-Odom, a very fine son-in-law, Mr. Aaron Odom and two grandsons, Andrew Demetrius Odom and Kendall Cole Odom, all of Charlotte, North Carolina.